Welcome to the "Eco Adventure,
a climate change short story challenge!”
brought to you by Kat Kid Adventure.
We invite students to use their creative talents to raise awareness about the critical issue of climate change – its causes, effects, solutions or personal experiences related to it.
Through storytelling, we hope to inspire young people to become curious about environmental issues affecting their lives and become eco-stewards in their local communities!
Writing prompt: Write about a character (could be you, someone you know or a completely imaginary one) becoming an eco-champion inspired by an experience they had in nature.
Use your imagination! Your story can be fictional or realistic. Written in first person or in third person. Characters can be real or fictional!
– This competition is open to all middle and high school students attending the San Mateo Youth Climate Leadership Summit.
– Participants may enter as individuals or in teams of up to three members.
2. Submission Guidelines:
– Submissions should be original, unpublished works of realistic fiction.
– Short stories should be no more than 800 words (excluding the title). Submissions longer than that will be disqualified.
– Entries must be submitted in English.
3. Judging Criteria:
– Creativity and originality of the story.
– Relevance to the theme of climate change.
– Engagement and emotional impact.
– Quality of writing and storytelling.
– First Place: $150 cash prize, certificate of achievement, and publication of the winning story on the Kat Kid Adventure website and promoted on
– Second Place: $100 cash prize, certificate of achievement, and publication of the story on the Kat Kid Adventure website.
– Third Place: $50 cash prize, certificate of achievement, and publication of the story on the Kat Kid Adventure website.
5. How to Submit:
– Email your short story as a PDF attachment to firstname.lastname@example.org
– Include your name(s), school name, grade level, and contact information in the email.
– Submissions will be accepted from October 14 to January 15, 2024.
6. Announcement of Winners:
– Winners will be announced the first week of December on the Kat Kid Adventure website and via email to the participants.
– Winning and selected notable entries may be featured on Kat Kid Adventure website and social media and in relevant publications to raise awareness about climate change.
8. Contact Information:
– For inquiries and submissions, please email email@example.com
Let’s join hands and work together to combat climate change for a better future. Your story could be the catalyst for change! Good luck to all participants!